Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Once a weaver...

     When I discovered weaving, I found my destiny.  From the first project, I knew I had been born to weave.  I knew then why the sight of a loom had always drawn me like a magnet.  I realized why I had such a compulsion to touch fabric.
The art and music classes I previously attended had been leading up to a symphony of color and structure I could hardly imagine.
     I had learned in orchestra that the celli and double basses are playing what is called the ground.  In weaving there is pattern and there is ground.  Once I understood that the tabby weave on alternating threads provides a base from which the pattern threads can do their marvelous effects, I finally appreciated fully the wonderful work the lower strings, woodwinds and brass perform in building pleasing music.
     In the garden, plants require nutrients and support which are furnished by the ground.  Weaving showed me why tinkering with the soil before I plant is worthwhile.  Ground weave is everywhere.
     I have begun to see everything in terms of threads, color, and structure.
     We got a string trimmer, which I have never used before.  My husband explained the operation, the safety measures, and maintenance.  I had only one question.  "How do you advance the warp?"

No comments:

Post a Comment